I’ll preface this by saying: My hair was blown out and flat ironed when I did this treatment. While on vacation in the States, I decided to have my hair done by my hairdresser. I returned home a couple of weeks ago and life has been very busy. Alas, that flat ironed hair, lasted me 3 weeks– I know, I know, way too long without a wash, but I’ll admit, I did enjoy not bothering with my hair for such a long time– My hair was a bit dry and dirty, definitely in need of a cleanse. Since I’m always deep conditioning, I decided to pre-poo my hair, so I could skip stepping out of the shower, deep conditioning and going back into the shower to rinse.
My first pre-poo consisted of me applying oil to my hair and plopping on a plastic cap. I noticed a bit of sheen, but didn’t really notice a major different in my hair’s overall condition. This time, I decided to do a hot oil/ deep condition pre-poo.
- I combined different oils that all have beneficial properties: coconut (70%), jojoba (10%), cupuaca (10%) butter, argan oil (10%).
- I used about 1/4 cup of all combined. Placed the oil in my DIY pyrex dish double boiler and warmed them over medium heat.
- I added a sprig of rosemary to the oils, as it has healing properties, invigorates the scalp, promotes growth and smells just heavenly. Once warmed, I applied this to my hair from root to tip, paying special attention to my ends. I also applied a small amount to my scalp and massaged my head.
- I was generous with the amount applied to my ends and applied a light layer to the rest of my hair.
- Next, I put conditioner on the ends of my hair on top of the oil. Sat under a hooded dryer, with a plastic cap on my head, for about 30 minutes. I then proceeded to shampoo with a gentle sulfate-free cleanser and then condition.
- Finally, I moisturized with a leave-in and did my usual styling routine (i.e. twists and sat under the dryer to let the moisture seep in).
What I noticed:
- my hair didn’t feel stripped when I shampooed it.
- my hair melted into the conditioner and detangling was not difficult.
- my hair was shiny after washing, but the next day when it was completely dry it was even shinier.
- day three hair is still shiny and so soft. I need to keep my hands out of my head though, definite case of HIH (hands in hair) syndrome.
- My twist out is not as defined as usual, but I’m okay with that. I’ll trade anything for health and shine.
Moral of the story, low porosity hair needs, heat for products to absorb.
*** hair pinned back for my job interview, but I’m still loving the sheen!***