A reader emailed me and requested I share my skin regimen and tips on achieving clear skin.
I do believe that genetics plays a huge role in our skin, but the environment and our regimens contribute greatly as well to the health of our skin.
Here are some things I do that do not relate to my wash regimen:
- Eat clean and healthy — lots of veggies, fruits and drink tons of water.
- Move around and exercise to stimulate cell regeneration.
- Try to keep my hair off my face.
- I don’t wear foundation, if I do I only wear it on special occasions.
Now here’s my skin regimen. I’m not beauty expert and my skin is not flawless. However, I used to break out a lot, and since implementing this regimen, I no longer suffer from acne nor do I get pimples (except for one around that time…).
Products (products in bold are what I use 100% of the time):
- jojoba oil – same PH as the skin, extremely gentle and moisturizing, even for the most sensitive skin. Great make-up remover.
- warm towel – soothing, opens pores and removes dirt and oil.
- cold water – wonderful to close pore and increase circulation
- witch hazel – closes pores, refreshes skins (and I think it fights wrinkles, but I have no scientific proof, besides my grandmother who used it her entire life and never wrinkled).
- tea tree – fights acne and antimicrobial
- black soap – removes oil and build-up without stripping the skin, even skin tone
- Put a drop or two of jojoba oil* on my hands and rub face in circular motions (if I’m wearing make-up, I add a few more drops to really loosen up the product).
- Place a warm towel on my face and let it sit one minute, wipe my face with the wash cloth to remove oil or buildup.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Place a few drops of witch hazel astringent and one drop of tea tree oil** on a cotton swab and gently wipe in a circular motion over my face and neck.
- If my skin feels dry I will add another drop of jojoba oil.
- (In the summer or if my skin feels oily I use a small amount of black soap to cleanse it. I don’t do this so often in winter.)
*Other great light oils are extra virgin olive oil and sweet almond oil.
**I only add the drop of tea tree oil at night, because of the smell.
These products will probably last you 6 – 9 months and only cost about 5 – 10 dollars in total. The best part about this regimen is that the products are 100% clean and natural.
What’s your healthy skin regimen?